IP68 Micro USB2.0 Connector
TE Connectivity's micro USB connectors - known for reliability, robustness and versatility in meeting different USB applications
TE Connectivity's micro USB connectors are already well-known for their reliability, robustness and versatility in meeting different USB applications. To satisfy its Digi-Key and TE Connectivity customers’ emerging needs, TE has designed the IP68 micro USB2.0 connector which is an upgrade to the IP57 connector, to provide stronger protection for today’s smaller and thinner mobile devices against the ingression of water and solid objects such as dust.
The IP (ingress protection) rating specifies the degree of protection against either solid objects or liquid. The first digit describes the protection against solid objects, while the second digit indicates the protection against liquid. The higher the number, the better the protection. The IP68 connector remains intact at a water depth of 1.5 m for a minimum of 30 minutes, which is one of the highest standards of available relevant products in the market.
TE’s waterproof micro USB connectors use a metal injection molded (MIM) shell to achieve the IP68 standard. The stainless steel metal injected shell replaces the traditional stamped and formed shell — which typically contains a lot of holes and is less usable for waterproof connectors — to provide best possible strength against wrenching and false insertion and reduces the shell height by 0.3 mm.
- Dimension (H x W x D): 3.04 x 17.8 (with ears) x 7.9 mm
- Staggered contact provides improved signal separation as well as enhanced mechanical stability
- The MIM shell provides the lowest height possible with the metal shield and waterproof structure integrated in one piece; it provides a strong structure —a 3D-molded structure
- Equipped with an undercut matching the plug latches, the connector keeps the plug mated like the normal micro USB connector.
- The metal reinforcement plate prevents damage to the plastic tab containing the contacts inside the connector and helps prevent potential electrical short circuits.
- The circular interface to the main shell allows for easy integration of the connector in a device.
- Screw mounting ears make it easier to integrate and position the connector in the final application.